Presented by the Mayor's Fitness Council
The Mayor's Fitness Council challenges every citizen of Corpus Christi and the entire Costal Bend to participate in the Republic of Texas Triathlon in Corpus Christi, Tx. on April 14th & 15th in downtown Corpus Christi.
To participate one must to do any of the following below:
- Complete the Sprint Distance Triathlon: The Sprint Distance course is a 300 meter swim, 11 mile bike, and a 2 mile run.
- Complete the Olympic Distance Triathlon: The Olympic Distance is a 1500 meter swim, a 40Km bike, and a 10Km run. The bike and run course will be a single loop.
- Complete The Half Distance Triathlon: The Half Distance course is a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile Run. The bike course will be 2 loops, with an additional initial loop over the harbor bridge to North Beach. The run will be 2 loops on Ocean Dr.
- Complete the Half Distance Relay: Relay Teams are a separate category of competition where the 3 disciplines are performed by 2 or 3 different persons, and a "hand-off" is required at each point of transition from one discipline to the next.
There will be special awards and prizes for everyone that participates in The Mayors Fitness Council Challenge:
- For Individuals - Additional awards will be presented for all participants that complete MFC.
- For Groups - There will be special awards for any organization participating as a group in the Mayor's Fitness Challenge. Special plaques will be made for these groups. The group with the largest number of people participating wins. The group awards will be given out for places 1 through 5.
Getting started is simple. Just follow these steps:
- Make a commitment. Unusure of what triathlon is all about, or don't think you can do it? Yes you can! Read these tips.
- Register. Sign up for the challenge by registering for the triathlon at www.myraceregistration.com.
- Make a Training Plan. Visit the Training section of this website.
- I can't swim. You can learn. There are many programs dedicated to teaching people of all ages how to swim. The Training section of this website lists all the organizations available in Corpus Christi that offer swim lessons.
- I don't have a bike. Almost any bike will do. If it has two wheels and you can safely pedal it and stop it, then chances are it will be fine for your first triathlon. If you do not have a bike, you can borrow, rent, or buy.
- I'm too old. You are never too old. Triathlon has age groups ranging from 19 and under to 75 plus. Every 5 years is a new age group. These age groups are also split between male and female.
- I am out of shape. You have to start somewhere. With baby steps anyone can complete their first triathlon. The road to fitness is a long one. It can also be a fun one. There is nothing more rewarding than setting a goal and following it through to completion.
- I do not have time. If you have twenty minutes per day, you can do it. If you have time to watch TV, you can do it. If you have time for a coffee or a beer, you can do it. Twenty minutes per day, 5 times per week of physical activity is all you need to succeed.